Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Custard Cake Mini's



I have this custard mini’s adopted from my pretty Custard Cake ckick link for the recipe posted a while ago. Mini cakes are just simply attractive and are always fun to eat with. I made some alteration on the ingredients and the alternative way how it was cooked which I will share with you later.
What I love in making this cake is the mouth-watering fragrance of chiffon batter! Even you are still in the process mixing-in everything of the ingredients, your turn to grab some of this cooked mini cakes can’t really wait! Really tempting!
This is quite different from my previous cake because I didn’t use round baking pan to mold this instead, utilizing my heart-shaped baking pan and muffin tin. The procedure is quite tricky considering that you have to fill each muffin tin starting from the caramel all throughout the batter before you can start putting it in the oven. But that doesn't become a big deal 'cause I believe that the more challenging the thing is; the more exciting is the outcome. Hmmmmm. Hope my belief will turn out right on this!
Fresh rom the oven. I've got this four holes over the cake!?? Not bad...I just wanted to share you how many times I've checked the cake by my wonder toothpick before I took it out from the oven! I'm just too conscious I might over baked it :-)

Anyway, I have two reasons why I did some alteration on the recipe. First, because these are only ingredients left available in our kitchen. Second, I want to try another experiment again hoping it would turn out right after doing some adjustments…. And yeah! I guess I didn’t fail on this!! Except on a little burned out caramel on top but overall, the taste is perfectly delicious! Only that the crème caramel also is thinner compared to my previous custard cake because this is where I made the alteration (except, on the  recipe on chiffon cake). I also used brown sugar for the caramel to have a golden brown finish and creamier too! The sweet taste really tempted me to eat more!! a sweetness which is not irritating to the throat.

I just can't take not to post this one! I know the cake is not so good-looking compared from my previous post but mind you…this is really delicious! And I like most using brown sugar because it's creamier than the white. I guess you can only say that I'm right and what I am trying to say now, once you've tried cooking the recipe! I will try next time not to burned-out the sugar so it wont get look messy, but overall?! Its yummmm!!!

So much to say anyhow. But heyy!!! I know the procedure is quite long but don’t get bored! This cake is worth your effort! Let me show you how!


Ingredients:



Caramel


·   1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (you can make it to 1 teaspoon for a sweeter taste)


Custard
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 tablespoon granulated white sugar
Meringue
  • 3 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (cream of tartar if using)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Chiffon Cake
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 4oz water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup of all flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt


Procedure


Caramel (I’m using oven to caramelize the sugar)

Pre-heat oven to 180 F.  Place 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar into each muffin tin. Place muffin tin in a pre-heated oven for about 5-10 minutes or until sugar forms into caramel. Check the oven before the stated time to make sure not to burn the sugar.

Custard

In a clean bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, and sugar. Stir until well blended. Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of custard mixture on the muffin tin with caramel. Set aside

For the Meringue
In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar, gradually adding in the sugar. Continue beating until very stiff and shiny. Set aside.
Note: Do not use the egg whites if they fall down and become watery. The cake won’t turn out successful.
Tip: Buy fresh eggs from the market. Be sure that the eggs come to room temperature before beating.
For Chiffon Batter
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
  2. In a separate mixing bowl beat together egg yolks, vegetable oil, sugar, water and vanilla.
  3. Add the flour mixture and beat until batter is smooth.
  4. Using a spatula, take some of the meringue, do it by batch and fold-in to the batter (egg yolk mixture and flour mixture. Mix until combined.
  5. Pour slowly into the muffin tin with caramel and custard mixture about half full. (Do not grease the sides of the tin).
  6. Place a rack on the center of the rectangular foil and pour-in about 2-3 cups of hot water. Place the muffin tin on the rack. (The rack is used to raise the bottom of the baking pan and provides steam to cook the cake and not to burn the custard).
  7. Preheat the oven. Place the rectangular foil that contains the muffin tin with water in the oven. Bake in 350 degree for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched.
  8. Remove muffin tin from the oven. Loosen the edges with a knife and let it cool over a wire rack for about 30mins.
  9. When cooled, place the pan in the fridge for about 1 hour. (I do this to help the cake stable while inverting the cake later).
  10. Carefully take each cooked mini cakes using a spatula or spoon and transfer to a clean plate.
  11. Serve chilled and enjoy!

Makes 6 serving of Mini Cakes, since the remaining custard and batter were cooked on a heart-shaped baking pan.


Note: Preparing the recipe on a heart-shaped baking pan has similar procedure on the mini cakes. You can place 3 tablespoon or more of brown sugar to make a caramel. Spread evenly. It’s easier compared in cooking over muffin tin since you will no longer do the procedure individually to fill the muffin tin.







No comments:

Post a Comment