Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day Cake



An idea of surprising our dear moms on a piece of cake on Mother’s day is a simple thought we can offer. This will surely feel them blissful and special! Do you agree? Well, for me I do!  Being a mother (and might as you too mommies) would feel the same way if our loved ones surprised us with this stuff! It’s such a wonderful feeling to a mother how it felt being loved and how much they are appreciated!

It took a while what cake I am going to make on this special day. After constant search to find what cake design I am going to make, I’m glad I’ve made things up and came to this idea of a simple chiffon cake filled with mocha icing, covered and decorated with whips of cream and chocolate frosting. I have adopted this mocha and chocolate icing recipe from Joy of Baking (which is one of my favorite sites online) but made some adjustments on the ingredients which is enough to complete this recipe. I love the combination and it’s a delicious way to celebrate the holiday together with my family in my hometown. This is not quite complicated to prepare but the thing is; making perfect chiffon is pretty tricky! You need to master the good qualities of the cake such as the texture; good volume; and of course: good taste! For me, how the cake was made up, considers the recipe to be called as special. Hmmmmm... Hope I made you agree on this! *wink
I love making chiffon cakes! The reason why I like making this in the kitchen is because of the aroma of the batter which is really such a mouth-watering,.... I really can't wait to taste the result then! And speaking of the result, I would say this pleasing texture tells you the tenderness and rich flavor of the cake.. yummmmy it is!

Well as you can see; I only put on enough thickness of icing just to cover the cake since I am not a fan of eating those with much icing covered on it. Sorry kids, I just wanted you to enjoy eating more a cake, than eating an icing!!! (smile)


I am using Wilton decorating tips to design the edges; so as to decorate all over. Pretty Wilton tips---I just simply love it!!!!

I’m more than happy to share this recipe with you I admit…..so without further ado, presenting: My surprise cake!!! yahoooooo!!!!
Happy Mother’s Day mommies!

Ingredients:

Procedure for Chiffon Cake

Meringue

  • 6 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 cream of tartar (I’m using lemon juice for my own preference)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
Batter

  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 tsp salt

Procedure:

Meringue
In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and lemon juice (or cream of tartar if using), gradually adding in the sugar. Continue beating until very stiff and shiny.

Note: Do not use the egg whites if they fall down and become watery. The cake won’t turn out successful.

Tip: Buy fresh eggs from the market. Be sure that eggs come to room temperature before beating.


Chiffon Cake
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a separate mixing bowl beat together egg yolks, vegetable oil, sugar, water and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat until batter is smooth. Using a spatula, fold the batter into the meringue until well blended.
  3. Pour it into the prepared baking pan.
  4. Bake in 350 degree C for 55 to 65 minutes in a preheated oven until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  5. Remove the pan from the oven. Loosen the edges with a knife and let it cool in the pan for about 30mins.
  6. Remove from the pan.
  7. Cut the cake into two layers. Set aside.
For Mocha Whipped Cream (Yields 1 cup for filling. You can divide each ingredient if you wish to make lesser amounts)

  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Procedure for Mocha Whipped Cream:
  1. Place vanilla extract, sugar, cocoa powder, and instant coffee powder in a bowl. (Make sure that the bowl and other mixing paraphernalia’s were placed in the fridge to cool before using).
  2. Stir in 2 tablespoons of cream to dissolve the cocoa and coffee powder until it forms a thick paste.
  3. Add the remaining cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
Chocolate Whipped Cream: (Yields 1 cup used for decorating. You can divide each ingredient if you wish to make lesser amounts)

  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled

Procedure for Chocolate Whipped Cream:

  1. Place vanilla extract, sugar, and cocoa powder in a bowl. (Make sure that the bowl and other mixing paraphernalia’s were placed in the fridge to cool before using).
  2. Stir in 2 tablespoons of cream to dissolve the cocoa powder and until forms a thick paste.
  3. Add the remaining cream and beat until stiff peaks form.

To assemble:

Spread enough of mocha icing on the base layer. Top the other layer. Cover with whip cream and decorate.What I did here, was: cover the whole cake first with whipped cream then just reserve enough amounts to make chocolate whipped icing for decorating.  






 




No comments:

Post a Comment